Landlords Gas Safety Check
What is a Gas Safety Check?
An annual gas safety inspection is a safety check of all gas appliances and is a legal requirement for landlords of tenanted properties. As a landlord, it is your responsibility to ensure the safety of your tenants by making sure all gas appliances within the property are in safe working order. Failure to do so could result in prosecution.
Although it is not a legal requirement for homeowners, it is still highly recommended that you get your gas appliances checked annually. Left unchecked, gas appliances can cause gas leaks, explosions, and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. CO poisoning and gas leaks can result in significant damage to your home, and even illness or death. For more information on this see our Gas leaks and repair section.
What is Included in a Gas Safety Check?
During a gas safety inspection, we will carry out the following checks before issuing you with a certificate:
- Gas tightness test at meter
- Check of standing and working gas pressures of appliances (where applicable)
- Check of standing and working pressure at meter
- Check gas rate of appliances
- Check of burner pressure/gas pressure of appliances (where applicable)
- Visual inspection of appliances
- Carry out flue gas analysis of appliance or test flue flow to ensure the removal of products of combustion from the room
- Check for adequate ventilation
- Check all safety devices of appliances
- Check for correct operation of CO and smoke alarms
A gas safety check should take around 45 minutes to 1 hour providing no extra tests are required. In the unfortunate event of an appliance failing a gas safety check we will shut off the appliance if necessary, issue a warning certificate, and discuss the next course of action with the customer.
ASP Plumbing and Heating Services are accredited Gas Safe engineers with over 10 years of experience in the gas and heating industry. We do not cut corners when carrying out safety checks and we work within the guidelines stipulated by the Gas Safe Register. It’s always a good idea to book an annual boiler service alongside a gas safety certificate. Call us at 020 3858 0277 or get in touch via our contact form.
How Much Does It Cost?
A gas safety check and certificate usually costs £70 + VAT, but please see our prices section for more details.